Chapter 1: Offers & Suggestions - Material [Bahasa Inggris Kelas XI]


Kompetensi Dasar

3.1 Menerapkan fungsi sosial, struktur teks, dan unsur kebahasaan teks interaksi transaksional lisan dan tulis yang melibatkan tindakan memberi dan meminta informasi terkait saran dan tawaran, sesuai dengan konteks penggunaannya (should, can)

4.1 Menyusun teks interaksi transaksional, lisan, dan tulis, pendek dan sederhana, yang melibatkan tindakan memberi dan meminta informasi terkait saran dan tawaran, dengan memperhatikan fungsi sosial, struktur teks, dan unsur kebahasaan yang benar dan sesuai dengan konteks.

______________________________________________________________________________________

A. Introduction

Offer memiliki makna menawarkan suatu ide, sedangkan suggest bermakna menyarankan. Mari kita tilik lebih jauh lagi penggunaannya. Kita mulai dari offer:

1. Offers
    Offers means  to give something physical or abstract to someone, which can be taken as a gift or a trade. Offer can be given in terms of food, money, solutions, friendship or a bargain. It can be taken or refused.

a. Untuk menawarkan bantuan kita dapat menggunakan ungkapan offer seperti berikut:

- May I help you?

- Can I help you?

- What can I do for you?

- Would you like me to ...?

- Can I lend you a hand with that?


b. Untuk menawarkan sesuatu kita juga dapat menggunakan ungkapan berikut:

- Would you like some ...?

- Would you like something to ...?

- Should I get you ...?

- What can I get for you?

Contoh kalimat menawarkan:

- Would you like some coffee?
    Apakah kamu mau kopi?

- Would you like a drink?
    Apakah kamu ingin meminum sesuatu?

- Should I get you a the file?
    Haruskah saya mengambilkan berkasnya untukmu?

Contoh percakapan offer:

Jean: Hello, Mike!
Mike: Hi!
Jean: You look tired. What's up?
Mike: I am working some project with my clients. I don't think I will be able to finish it.
Jean: Would you like any help?
Mike: Yes, please. I would really appreciate it!

2. Suggestions

- You ought to ...

- You should ...

- It's better for you to ...

- I suggest you ...

- I advise you to ...

- Why don't we/you ... ?

- How about ...?

- You had better ...

- Let's ...

Contoh kalimat saran:

- You should come early.
    Kamu sebaiknya datang lebih awal.

- How about drinking coffee there?
    Bagaimana kalau minum kopi di sana?

- Let's go to the library!
    Mari kita pergi ke perpustakaan!

Contoh percakapan suggestion:

George: Hi, John!
Ann: Hi, George. What are you doing?
George: Nothing much. Would you like to go to the movies?
Ann: I'd love to, but not right now.
George: How about this afternoon?
Ann: Great! What movies do you want to watch?
George: Let's watch "Impetigore!"
Ann: Okay! I'll be there at 4. See you!

B. Structure Review

    Setelah mempelajari contoh, mari kita pelajari struktur pada umumnya!

1. Offers

Making Offers

Accepting Offer

Declining Offers

Can I help you?

Yes, please. I really appreciate it.

It’s okay. I can do it myself.

Shall I bring you some tea

Thank you. It is very kind of you.

No, thank you.

Would you like another helping of cake?

Yes, please. That would be lovely.

No, thanks. I don’t want another helping.

How about I help you with this?

Yes, please. That would be very kind of you.

Don’t worry. I will do it myself.

Can I take you home?

Thank you. I appreciate your help.

That’s alright. I will manage on my own.



Beberapa strukturnya menggunakan modal verb seperti contoh di bawah:
1. Would you look at my portofolio on this link?
2. Shall we take you home?
3. Could I offer you something?
4. Will you have a drink with me?


2. Suggestion


Making Suggestion

Accepting Suggestions

Declining Suggestions

Let’s go to movies!

Yes, let’s go!

No, thank you. I do not feel like going.

Why don’t you do your homework before going out?

Alright. I will.

Sorry. I think I will go out first and then do my homeworks.

How about going to Anne’s place first and then go to the club?

Yes, let’s go. It’s a good idea!

No, let’s just go to the club.

I think you should go and forgive him.

Okay, if you say so.

Sorry, I can’t.



Beberapa strukturnya ada yang seperti contoh di bawah:
1. I suggest that he does his homework.
2. We recommend you to go to the new restaurant.
3. I propose that a report should be emailed now.
4. I put forward that we work together in this big project.
5. We advise that he work hard
6. I advocate that we support this system until we find another leader.

Exercise 1
Instruction: There are some grammatical error in the sentence given below. Underline the mistakes in each sentences, then rewrite the sentence. If there aren't any mistakes, put a tick next to the sentence.

Example:
Let's to go to the sushi restaurant for lunch.

Let's go to the sushi restaurant for lunch.

1. Should we do have this meeting at 5?
2. Could you please send do the files now?
3. Let take him home
4. If you want it, I would send it to your email.
5. Shall we do have a look at her document?

Exercise 2
Instruction: Respond to the suggestions and offes given below!

1. I think we should go and pick your mother up from the bus station.
________________________________________________________

2. I will wash the car if you like.

________________________________________________________

3. Let's all eat together!

________________________________________________________

4. Why don't you join us for dinner?

________________________________________________________

5. Shall I bring a book to read?

________________________________________________________


Vocabulary Builder

Recommend = merekomendasikan
Suggest = menyarankan
Advise = menasihati
Possible = mungkin
Refuse =menolak
Appreciate = menghargai
Bargain = menawar
Give me your hand please = Tolong bantu aku
Pick up = menjemput
Conversation = percakapan

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Modul Ajar Bahasa Inggris 2024 - Descriptive Text Kelas Fase E (Kelas X)